We had to put up the retaining wall ASAP. There was real concern that rain would cause a mini mudslide. I personally think it was a small chance as there was only a thin layer of soil and the rest of the ground was made up of rubble. We’re guessing it was either the previous house if there was one or rubble from another property close by. There are broken tiles, bricks and all sorts creating the high banking for the lawn.
The retaining wall is not to the specification provided by the Architect as the cost of removing the dirt was much higher than expected. The Architects plan was to use sleepers. It would have meant removing dirt furthermore dirt and filling it up with concrete. In hindsight, maybe we should have stuck to the original plan. The plan now is to either render the brick or use cedar wood to clad. The later is my first preference.
It does feel like a big chunk of the garden has gone.
We have made changes to the internal layout of the first floor. The good thing is once you have your plans finalized and given the go ahead, you’re able to make amendments to the internal layout as long as it’s not changing the look of the property. You must also consider building regs when making changes, e.g. you can’t move the stairs location, change the head height from the stairs, etc.
Below shows the old and new plan for the first floor. We had a big debate regarding having an en-suite. At the end, I’m glad we have it (I always wanted it). We managed to convince a certain someone by stating that an en-suite adds value to the property and explained scenarios where an en-suite will be ideal, e.g. kids using both bathrooms, wanting to be ready before the guests, etc.
Here are the Architects proposed plans. These are the plans we agreed to go with. I will upload the other proposed plans at some point. We were super impressed with the plans. The living spaces are well defined giving every room a purpose. Our biggest problem before was that the back room had no real purpose. Hopefully, with this plan, our problem will be solved.
Here’s the existing floor plan. It’s clear how divided the house was. I say “was” as I’m writing this while the house works are going on and they have already knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room.
I managed to find photo’s online of the photo’s taken by the estate agent for rightmove.com