I’m sick of moving between three different places to stay. It took me an extra 40 minutes this morning to find my clothes and pack for the rest of the week. I don’t know where half of my sh*t is. I’m popping to Next tonight to buy more socks. God knows how many I’ve bought in the last few months.
We can only do this as we don’t have kids and have family nearby. If you have kids, make sure you sort out accommodation and budget for it. There’s no way you could live on the property if it’s a full renovation, top-to-bottom. I recommend a car with a big boot. My boot is tiny. Hopefully, it will be worth it once the house is complete. It’s sometimes difficult to see the ending, especially when frustration takes over and you just want it complete now. You have to remind yourself the end goal will be worth it (hopefully).
Oh, and stock up well on toothbrushes.
More photos. I’ll go into details in a separate blog post regarding the different topics. E.g. Skylight, flooring level, beams, f’ ups, Roof type, insulation, soldier bricks, etc.
She’s giving birth! The extension is forming. Remember, I’m catching up on the blog here. Progress is way ahead of what you see below. You can see from here how the beams and joists are put together like lego. It’s difficult to picture it on the plans, however, when you view being pt together it starts to make sense. More progress photo’s to follow.
We had to put up the retaining wall ASAP. There was real concern that rain would cause a mini mudslide. I personally think it was a small chance as there was only a thin layer of soil and the rest of the ground was made up of rubble. We’re guessing it was either the previous house if there was one or rubble from another property close by. There are broken tiles, bricks and all sorts creating the high banking for the lawn.
The retaining wall is not to the specification provided by the Architect as the cost of removing the dirt was much higher than expected. The Architects plan was to use sleepers. It would have meant removing dirt furthermore dirt and filling it up with concrete. In hindsight, maybe we should have stuck to the original plan. The plan now is to either render the brick or use cedar wood to clad. The later is my first preference.
It does feel like a big chunk of the garden has gone.
Don’t want this falling!!!!
The builder decided to create a loft opening on the side wall in the landing. It was a good idea at the time and in all fairness, the builders meant well. I was never 100% sure about it as I thought it looked like crap and could not imagine how the door opening would look.
We got to a stage where we felt the project was running away from us and called in our architect to cover a few pointers that we found puzzling. I’ll explain that episode in another blog. Anyway, she straight looked at it and said it will not pass building regs (inspection). There is a solution, however, when I received the details and looked into it, the costs were not worth it.
One reason why the builder did it was that he didn’t like the idea of the loft hatch being positioned in a bedroom. He had no choice to backtrack as there’s no way I’m paying the amount of money it cost to get it passed building regs and the fact that I never asked for it in that position.
You can see the concern. Anyway, I’ve had to order new ceiling loft openings. I’m sticking to the building regs version of our plan that the architect supplied. She put in amazing detail. I’m a bit concerned that I’ve ordered the wrong item, nevertheless, we won’t know until we receive it and try fitting. We have two loft openings. One I know I ordered is correct. The other to replace the large side opening, I’m not so sure. The builders have already plastered the bedrooms and the one I’ve bought for the bedroom requires it to be plastered. Before you judge me, let me explain something. The contractors plastered way too early on in the project and it has caused headache after headache. I was quite vocal from the beginning about being unhappy with plastering really early. We have four plaster-in light fittings and plaster-in coving. How the hell can they plaster before fitting these items?
That’s why I’m going ahead with the loft hatch type I’ve ordered. They will have to figure it out as it’s their own doing. The reason I got a plaster in loft hatch is that it’s in a bedroom and I don’t want it to stick out. I’ve actually bought a service hatch. You can stick insulation to the top to make it function as a loft opening. It also has a strong lock.
Plasterboard Door – https://www.accesspanels.co.uk/product/900-x-600-mm-premium-range-plasterboard-door-beaded-frame-rpt-fr60/
The other ceiling hatch is a standard picture frame.
I know it’s been a long time since I’ve updated the blog. It’s not due to one reason, but a multiple of reasons. Firstly, the WINTER. The winter has made it difficult to visit the house as its dark every time I get there and taking decent photos is impossible. Spending time at the house is not as easy as its cold and you don’t want to hang around too long. Not all the rooms have lights and it’s all boarded up until the Glass is installed. Secondly, the pace of which I’ve had to be involved in the house has significantly increased. The ground floor and extension needs way more time and effort than I expected. I’m finding myself busy deciding on the builder’s questions, kitchen, fittings, the garden, glass, etc.
I’m also moving around frequently compared to start. This has taken a toll on the time and energy I have to update the blog.
Hopefully, things should get better from now on. I have a shit load of material to write about and get off my chest. I’ll try to add as many tips as possible from my good and bad experience so far.